Dunking is an essential aspect of basketball, and those who have mastered the skill are considered top players. While it might appear as an easy to master skill, there is more to dunking than vertical jumps. You have to be prepared to engage in intensive and involving regular practice to learn how to dunk.
Dunking is considered an elite skill, and whenever a player pulls it off in the courts, it not only demoralizes the opponents but also excites the fans. Moreover, a basketball dunk point psyches up your teammates. You might be bothered by how to increase vertical jump to pull off impressive basketball dunks; well, here are some helpful drills.
Work on your Jumping Technique
Jumping is one aspect of dunking that you have to focus on and master if you want to know how to dunk perfectly. It is the means of pulling off that impressive dunk that you so much desire. You need to know how to jump high to dunk.
Most players have top basketball skills, but poor jumping techniques prevent them from making good basketball dunks. Even worse, the results of failed dunks are always embarrassment and booing from opposing fans.
This is not good for team morale or personal confidence.
Most failed dunks have poor jumping techniques to blame. It is vanity to try the same approach and similar techniques only to have the fans booing you. As a player, if your jumping technique is not pulling off the results you desire, making adjustments is the perfect move.
Like dunking, jumping is also an involving engagement that demands time in practice and training. Remember, if you cannot jump, dunking is out of the question for you; maybe you should stick to dribbling or defending. Well, this need not be the case if you can religiously follow the following drills and practice them accordingly:
- Warming up before practice; whenever you get to the courts, the first engagement should be warming up. Make little runs around the court; this comes in handy to warm up your muscles and make them elastic. This also helps optimize blood flow, and the flow of blood is the fuel of those jumps.
- Stretch; this is another warm-up drill that also increases the elasticity of your muscles and increases blood flow throughout your legs.
- Dispose of any mental blocks; it all starts in mind, and whatever you feed it, that is usually the results. If you harbor doubts and contemplate failure, failure is what you shall reap. On the contrary, self-confidence comes in handy to help you master the jump you wish for.
- Intensify and exaggerate the step before take-off; Stressing and exaggerating the last step helps the body to explode up and to contribute towards the jump significantly. It helps to strengthen and accurately propel the entire body into the air.
- Engage the entire body; exerting your whole body helps to focus all the strength into the jump. The arms and the lower body are critical to synchronizing the upward thrust.
- Synchronize transfer of upward momentum; appropriate synchronizing of transfer of momentum ensures the upward thrust is executed well without slowing down or stopping.
- Be quick; for perfect execution of the upward movement, speed should be on the menu. Speed comes in handy to ensure the flawless transfer of strength and power in the bid to take off. Remember being slow is bound to disorient the whole take-off process.
Adopt a Regular Vertical Workout Routine
The secret to increasing the average vertical jump is learning how to harness explosive power that gives the upward thrust. This, however, calls for an intensive workout with heavyweights.
The hamstring, calves, and quads muscles are the ones responsible for the upward motion. They have to be strengthened in every way possible so that they can give enough power to increase your vertical jump. This way, you will have an idea of how to jump high to dunk and win those points for your team.
There are lots of strength exercises that can help you perfect your vertical jumps in a bid to master how to dunk a basketball. However, the following have been tried and tested and proven to work miracles, especially if initiated alongside other speed exercises:
These include squats, hamstring raises, deadlifts, and lunges. Doing these at least thrice a week comes in handy to boost your vertical endurance. These work out drills will also gain the strength and power to support explosions needed for vertical thrusts as you make those basketball dunks.
If you are not familiar with the right procedure of going about these drills, it is always advisable to hire an expert. However, there are lots of dependable materials on the same over the internet that could guide you accordingly.
These include 50 and 100-yard sprints, jump rope, knee-high, and depth jumps. These should be done at least twice a week, but it does not hurt to do them whenever you get the opportunity. If their routine is adhered to religiously and consistently, it is incredible how much they can help you master the jump needed for dunking.
Important Dunking Tips
There are lots of impressive dunking drills that you can adopt to help you bang those dunk points. Among them are the following:
- Focus on improving your vertical leap; jumping is out rightly one of the most critical aspects of your basketball dunk. I mean, you need to jump high enough so you can not only bag the point but also do it in style and class to intimidate your opponent to the maximum.
- Have enough grip strength; Good dunkers are known to have extensive hands since it is impossible to have a good grip on the ball if you have tiny hands. However, with a large hand and strengthened grip on the ball, you stand a high chance of making powerful dunks. Tiny-handed players are limited to two-handed dunks.
- Adopt the right jumping form; your jumping technique determines whether you will pull off that dunk or you will suffer the boos of the opposing fans. You need to harness the right momentum and the strength to thrust upwards. You could adopt the following jumping form:
- Pace up as you dribble towards the basket
- Ensure you pick the ball from the last dribble about 10 feet from the basket
- Intensify and exaggerate the last step
- Block off any doubts and keep a positive mind
- Explode up like a rocket, hard and fast
- Drop down the ball with class and style
- Handle the ball to your advantage; ball handling is also vital to the question, how to increase vertical jump to dunk. You need to hold it firmly with both hands as you prepare for take-off to harness enough power. How you bring it up towards the basket as you thrust up can add to your thrust force.
- Have the right height calculations; in as much as you desperately need to master that dunk, you also need to be realistic. Remember, in order two pull off a two-handed dunk; you need to be 8 inches over the rim and 6 inches for a one-handed dunk. If you cannot reach these heights, it is only wise that you work towards improving your average vertical jump.
Dunk Safety Cautions
You might think you have found answers on how to dunk a basketball, but a basketball dunk is only successful if you pull it off safely. Nobody will remember you for winning a point if you come crashing to the court and get an injury. In as much you want to master this skill, you need to have safety in mind.
You should pay heed to the following crucial things:
- Be aware of the playing court; you might have mastered how to dunk correctly, but you do not want to go dunking on poorly maintained courts. A rusted rim can tear your hands while a bumpy and pothole-filled court can hurt your feet.
- Protect your knees and ankles; for tall players, dunking may not be as dangerous as compared to short players. If you are under 6-foot, you need to stay in control during the entire dunking engagement. If you lose control, you might crash down or bust your knees or ankles.
- Avoid dunking on portable goals; you might have mastered how to dunk, but portable goals are a no go zone for sane players. Such is only reserved for YouTube influencers looking to win subscribers unless you want to end up in the hospital. They are a hotspot for injuries, some of which might be critical and career-killing.
- Avoid grabbing the rim for no good reason; in professional games, hanging on the rim is only allowed if you are seeking protection from opponents. If done for showbiz, it can not only attract technical fouls but can also be dangerous. You are bound to lose balance and go crashing down, and if unlucky, an injury may be the result.
Consistent practice and religiously following will give you answers on how to dunk. However, you should realize that it is no easy task; it demands time and commitment. Before you can openly claim you know how to dunk, a lot has to be done on the training ground.
Find out about the best basketballs available right now